With our “We create chemistry” strategy, we have more precisely defined the values which guide our actions. Based on our value of acting responsibly as an integral part of society, our standards are aligned with internationally recognized principles and fulfill or exceed existing laws and regulations. We respect and promote
- the 10 principles of the U.N. Global Compact,
- the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and both United Nations covenants on human rights,
- the ILO’s core labor standards and Tripartite Declaration of Principles concerning Multinational Enterprises and Social Policy (MNE Declaration),
- the OECD Guidelines for Multinational Enterprises,
- the Responsible Care Global Charter, and
- the German Corporate Governance Code.
Numerous international principles outlining responsible corporate actions were revised and adopted in 2011. We took an active part in various initiatives, such as the U.N. Guiding Principles, OECD Guidelines and ISO 26000 on social responsibility. BASF welcomes such efforts to create generally recognized principles. We will continue our constructive contribution to the international discussion and align our internal guidelines and processes accordingly.
We stipulate rules for our employees with standards that apply Group-wide. We set ourselves ambitious goals for observing voluntary commitments and review our environmental, health and safety performance using our Responsible Care Management System. A three-pronged monitoring system ensures our compliance with labor and social standards. Our business partners are expected to align their actions with internationally recognized principles, and we have established management systems to monitor this.